What is CrossFit
CrossFit is a general physical preparedness program designed to build well-rounded extremely fit athletes who can handle just about anything nature, their jobs and their lives throw their way. The CrossFit program is built on three pillars:
Functional movements that translate directly to your everyday tasks – whether it’s putting out fires or putting away the laundry.
Variety of movement that challenges you mentally and physically, pushing you to adapt to new challenges while keeping you engaged and interested.
Scaled intensity based on individual fitness levels, and built on a solid foundation and understanding of movement, form and technique. At CrossFit 2 Serve, we often say consistency before intensity – we want to make sure you’re doing it right before we scale it up.
Courtesy of CrossFit.com
Workout of the Day (WOD)
Every CrossFit class is centered around a Workout of the Day (WOD), developed and posted by the main CrossFit headquarters. WODs are typically short, intense (as appropriate), constantly varied (so never boring), and incorporate functional movements. CrossFitters run, jump, climb, row. We do sit ups, push ups, pull ups, dips, handstands. We swing kettlebells, lug around sandbags, flip massive tires, lift dumbbells and barbells. And often times, that’s just the warm up.
Most WODs are timed; some are maximum-weight workouts. But every single one of them will give you a phenomenal workout, regardless of what shape you’re in.
So, why CrossFit?
You’re frustrated or disappointed with the results you’ve seen from your gym membership. You’ve had an injury or your body’s taken a beating. You’re bored with your current workout routine or physical training sessions. You’re ready to take your fitness to the next level. You’re training to become a first-responder. You haven’t worked out in a while (or ever). You’re not as young as you used to be. You want to look great in that swimsuit. You just want to a more productive lifestyle, in general. Any of those sound familiar? Then CrossFit’s for you.
Here’s why CrossFit has amassed such a huge, fanatical (and growing) following across all ages, sexes, and fitness levels. And around the world.
- Short workouts: We get it – you’re busy. CrossFitters experience a more intense workout in 15 minutes than most people do in an hour at the gym.
- Never a dull moment: You never know what to expect from today’s WOD. And you’ll constantly be surprising yourself with what you can accomplish.
- Scalable: WODs are adjusted to meet each athlete’s fitness level, experience, weight, sex, injuries, etc. CrossFit really is for everyone.
- Great value: CrossFit classes tend to be small. Which means you get a lot of one-on-one attention from the coaches. It’s like having a really awesome personal trainer, without the hefty personal trainer fees.
- Real results: You’ll log each WOD – your time, weight load, etc. – so you track your improvement. And you’ll see yourself getting stronger, faster, better with every workout.
- Well-rounded: CrossFit focuses on the whole body – not just one isolated group of muscles. So you’ll become a well-rounded athlete instead of limited specialist.
- Practical: The workouts you complete in CrossFit help you with your daily tasks, whether it’s taking care of your kids, mowing the lawn, or saving lives on the job.
- Good times: CrossFit is just plain ol’ fun. You’ll become part of a supportive, inclusive community of people from all walks of life. You’ll make friends, and have a great time getting into shape.
- Nutritional help: Nutrition and diet are a key component of CrossFit and its success. We’ll help you transition to healthier eating habits that maximize your results.
- Feel and live better: CrossFitters will unanimously tell you how much better, healthier and happier they feel as human beings.