It’s a concept foreign to many of us: eating when we’re not hungry and eating what we really don’t want to eat.
If you exercise regularly, you need more calories than you think you do. Depending on your activity level, this could be substantially more calories. Depending on your goals, your nutrition intake will change as well. If you want to gain muscle, maintain your weight, or lose weight, your nutrition needs will change.
As a fitness and CrossFit facility, Fit 2 Serve understands the challenges when it comes to diet. Without going into details, we’re going to go over some of our favorite healthy snack and dinner ideas when eating for any kind of fitness goals, including CrossFit nutrition goals.
You need to include some of every macro ingredient in every meal: protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Your plate should be about one-third full of protein, a small amount of fat, and the rest low-density carbohydrates, preferably in the fruits and vegetables categories. Here are some easy ideas for you to follow.
No one can beat a healthy protein bar. It packs the right amount of balance you’re seeking for macro intake and couples it with good taste. However, the key is in the details: you have to read the label. Many “protein” bars have the normal amount of protein (4-5 g) and then a ton of carbohydrates you don’t need (i.e. sugar). As a general rule of thumb, the lower the number of ingredients listed, the better.
That being said, here are Fit 2 Serve’s recommendations for healthy CrossFit snack ideas:
- Jerky snacks. Pure protein, jerky is a variety of meats is easy and effective for a quick boost. We recommend US Wellness Meats, which sells all-natural, grass-fed beef and meats, which is great for the Paleo or Keto diets.
- Tanka bites are another Paleo Diet favorite for protein. Made from whole food ingredients and 100% natural, tanka bites come in a variety of flavors.
- Steve’s Paleo Snacks also offer up an amazing jerky. Maximize performance and recovery with these snacks free from preservatives, additives, refined sugars, and junk.
- Any kind of fruit is always a must-have for the carbohydrates for athletes. Some are higher in density than others, but all offer up essential vitamins and minerals and are a healthy alternative to junk food.
- Larabars are Fit 2 Serve’s recommended protein bars. Made with minimal ingredients, these non-GMO bars are real food to fuel muscle growth. Excellent snack choice for your busy lifestyle.
Fit 2 Serve’s favorite CrossFit dinner recipes:
- Paleo meatloaf. What everyone loves about meatloaf is how easy it is to prepare, and it fits almost every diet around. A powerful protein punch paired with a healthy amount of side vegetables and you have a meal fit for a king.
- Paleo sloppy joes. Another easy to make meal and one easy to pair, paleo sloppy joes can be made to satisfy every palette. Pair with baked beans or potato salad and some pickles and you’re sure to earn the approval of the crowd.
- Chili Colorado is a stew that takes a bit more preparation but is worth it! Essentially you need chili, some stew meat, and tomato paste. Combine together and simmer for a couple of hours. Goes great with rice.
- Meatballs and spaghetti. Homemade meatballs paired with good spaghetti noodles satisfies every kid (or kid at heart).Chop up some onions, garlic, and oregano. Combine with chosen meat, form into balls, put on a cooking sheet, and cook for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the meatballs. Full of protein and combined with the noodles, you have a complete meal.
We all have to eat to survive. Yet, we want our food to taste good, and we want to enjoy it. Fit 2 Serve is passionate about helping others be healthy on the inside as well as on the outside. Good, nutritious snacks such as our CrossFit snack ideas and meals such as our CrossFit dinner recipes go a long way in creating beauty in both. To look and feel your best, you have to have a healthy diet and a healthy exercise routine. You can’t have one without the other for an overall, energetic, full life. Visit Fit 2 Serve today to learn more!